ab & abs
These ROOT-WORDS are the Prefixes AB & ABS meaning AWAY, FROM & SEPARATION. Please note the two ways of spelling this ROOT-WORD. The s is added to AB before the letter t. It is easier to say AB stain than ABtain. The meaning of the ROOT-WORD remains the same. Learn to recognize this ROOT-WORD, and be sure it is at the beginning of the word and not at the end. In the middle of a word or at the end it is not
1. Abbreviate : AB breviate (a bree’ vee ate) v.
To shorten; make brief
2. Abdicate : AB dicate (ab’ di kate) v.
To give up; as, abdicate a throne
3. Abduct : AB duct (ab dukt’) v.
To lead away by force; kidnap
4. Aberration : AB erration (ab e ray’ shun) n.
Act of wandering away; unsoundness of mind
5. Abhor : AB hor (ab hor’) v.
To turn away from; loathe; shudder at
6. Abjure : AB jure (ab jure’) v.
To swear away; renounce
7. Ablate : AB late (a’ blate) v.
To remove; to cut away
8. Ablution : AB lution (a blue’ shun) n.
The act of washing away; often in a rite
9. Abnegate : AB negate (ab’ ne gate) v.
To relinquish; give up forever
10. Abnormal : AB normal (an nor’ mal) adj.
Away from the normal; aberrant
11. Abolish : AB olish (a bol’ ish) v.
Do away with; completely destroy
12. Abortion : AB ortion (a bor’ shun) n.
A rubbing or scraping away
13. Abrasion : AB rasion (a bray zhun)n.
A rubbing away
14. Abrogate : AB rogate (ab’ ro gate) v.
To repeal; to do away with
15. Abscond : AB scond (ab skond’) v.
To steal away and hide; to decamp
16. Absolve : AB solve (ah zolv’) v.
To free from blame; exonerate
17. Abstain : AB stain (ab stane’) v.
Hold off from; as, abstain from voting
18. Abstergent : ABS tergent (ab ster; jent) n.
A cleanser; something to remove dirt
19. Abstract : ABS tract (ab strakt’) v.
Draw away; separate from association
20. Absorb : AB sorb (ab sorb’) v.
Such in; drink in; as, a sponge will absorb water
EtymologyFrom Ab & abs to HOME PAGE