This ROOT-WORD is the Prefix POST with means AFTER & BEHIND. There is another word post which has to do with mailing, postage and Post Office. But that word is not this root. This root POST means AFTER, BEHIND & FOLLOWING. When you meet words with POST just take a second to see whether the sentence has anything to do with mailing. If it has, you need go no further - it is not our root. One thing that always means our root POST- AFTER is P.M. - POST meridian, afternoon.
1. Postern : POST ern (pose’ tern) adj.
Situated at the back, rear; as, the postern gate
2. Posterity : POST erity (poster; it ee) n.
Those who come after; descendants
3. Postifix : POST fix (post fiks’) v.
To add to end of syllable or word; affix
4. Postgeniture : POST geniture (post jen’ i jur) n.
The state of being born after another
5. Postgraduate : POST graduate (post graj’ u at) adj.
Relating to studies after graduation
6. Posthumous : POST humous (pos’ chum us) adj.
After death; often said of writings published after the author’s death
7. Posterior : POST erior (po ster’ ee or) adj.
Later in time; coming after
8. Postlude : POST lude (post’ lude)n.
The closing piece on the program
9. Postmarital : POST marital (post mar’ i tal) adj.
Relating to after the marriage
10. Post meridian : POST meridian (post me rid’ ee an) adj.
After the sun has passed the meridian; P.M
11. Postmortal : POST mortal (post mor’ tal) adj.
Relating to after death
12. Postmortem : POST mortem (post mort’ em) adj.
After death; as, a postmortem examination
13. Postmutative : POST multative (post mue’ ta tiv) adj.
Causing changes by the use of suffixes
14. Postnatal : POST natal (post nate’ al) adj.
Referring to the period immediately after birth
15. Post-obit : POST - obit (poe stoe’ bit) adj.
Happening after death; as, a post-obit gift
16. Postorbital : POST orbital (poe stor’ bit al) adj.
Situated behind the socket of the eye
17. Postpone : POST pone (post pone’) v.
Delay; set he date back
18. Postponement : POST ponement (post pone’ ment) n.
A delay; holding back until a later date
19. Postprandial : POST prandial (post pran’ dee al) adj.
After the feast; after the meal
20. Postscript : POST script (post; script) n.
A note added to a letter after it has been signed