Angry and Hungry
From Angry and Hungry to HOME PAGE
Apart from Angry And Hungry, what other common English word ends in -gry?
You are told wrong! There isn't one!
This riddle has been circulating in email for years now in various forms of words and had appeared in print media before that. Dictionary and reference departments the world over have been plagued by questions about it. It seems to have originated as a trick question, but the wording has become so garbled in subsequent transmission that it is hard to tell what was originally intended.
The most probable answer is that in the original wording the question was phrased something like this:
Think of words ending in -gry. Angry and hungry are two of them. What is the third word in the English language? You use it every day and if you were listening carefully, I've just told you what it is.
The answer, of course, is language (the third word in the English language).
There are several other English words ending in -gry which are listed in the complete Oxford English Dictionary, but none of them could be described as common. They include the trivial oddities un-angry and a-hungry and
• Aggry: aggry beads, according to various 19th-century writers, are coloured glass beads found buried in the ground in parts of Africa
• Begry: a 15th-century spelling of beggary
• Conyngry: a 17th-century spelling of the obsolete word conynger, meaning rabbit warren which survives in old English field names such as Conery and Coneygar
• Gry: the name for a hundredth of an inch in a long-forgotten decimal system of measurement devised by the philosopher John Locke (and presumably pronounced to rhyme with cry)
• Higry-pigry: an 18th-century rendition of the drug hiera picra
• Iggry: an old army slang word meaning hurry up borrowed from Arabic
• Meagry: a rare obsolete word meaning meagre-looking
• Menagry: an 18th-century spelling of menagerie
• Nangry: a rare 17th-century spelling of angry
• Podagry: a 17th-century spelling of podagra, a medical term for gout
• Puggry: a 19th-century spelling of the Hindi word pagri (in English usually puggaree or puggree) referring either to a turban or to a piece of cloth worn around a sun-helmet
• Skugry: 16th-century spelling of the dialect word scuggery meaning secrecy (the faint echo of skulduggery is quite accidental!)
• How many is a Billion?
• How do you describe a Person who does not eat meat, but eats fish?
• What is the word for an individual of arbitrary sex here?
• Besides Angry And Hungry, what is other English word that ends in -gry?
• Are there any Words with 5 Vowels in any order with no intervening...?
• I have read that the longest word is 1,909 letters long. Is this true?
• Is Bookkeeper the only word with 3 consecutive repeated letters?
• Is there a word for a Baby Hedgehog?
• Is there a term for the Study of Love?
• Is Deliverables a real word?
• Are there any words that only exist in the Plural Form?
• Are there any Word containing the same letter three times in a row?
• Are there any words that Rhyme With Orange?
• Are there words that contain The Letter Q without a U following it?
• Does Bimonthly mean twice a month or every two months?
• What is the feminine equivalent of Brethren?
• The name for a sentence that contains All 26 Letters of the alphabet:
• What are the Commonest English Words?
• What is the Third Word ending in -shion apart from cushion and fashion?
• Is there a word like Siblings for nephews and nieces collectively?
• Is there a word which describes the Fear of Friday the 13th?
• What is the collective term for a Group of Cats?
• What is the feminine equivalent of a Misogynist?
• What is the difference between Street and Road?
• What is the Longest English Word containing no letter more than once?
• What is the Frequency of Letters of the alphabet in English?
• Name of the common practice of forming A Word with 2 Capital Letters?
• What comes after Primary, Secondary, Tertiary?
• What is the feminine equivalent of Fraternal?
• Is there an Eight Letter Word with 5 Vowels in a row?
• What are the English Words which end in -dous?
• What is the Longest Word in the dictionary?
• What comes after once, twice, thrice?
• What is the longest one-syllable English word?
• What is the term used for a Prompt
• Name for a New Word coined by combining parts of existing words?
• What is the Name for a word that has Two Opposing Meanings?
• What is the word for a Fear Of?
• What is the opposite of Uxorious?
• What is the opposite of Nocturnal?
• What is the opposite of Juvenilia?
• What is the opposite of Hibernation?
• What is the opposite of Exceed?
• The Only Word in the English that ends with the letters -mt?
• What words in English containing two U’s in a row?
• What word contains the five vowels in the right order?
• The word for a word with more meanings based upon it's pronunciation?
• Unisex refer to something to do with both sexes, not just one sex. Why?
• What is the word for People Who Collect?
• What is the word for a word which is another word spelt backwards?
• The Word for words which sound like they are e.g. slush, slimy, etc.?
• The word that describes when two words that mean the opposite of each other are placed together?