A European or An European
Which is correct?
• a hotel or an hotel
• a historian or an historian
• a European not an European
The form an for the indefinite article is used before a spoken vowel sound regardless of how the written word is spelt. If you say an otel when speaking (which is now often regarded as distinctly old-fashioned), then it may be appropriate for you to write an hotel. But most people say hotel with a sounded h and should write a hotel.
By contrast, words such as Honour, heir or hour in which the h sound is dropped are written with an. Americans who drop the h in herb may also prefer to write an herb. But in standard British pronunciation the h is sounded and a herb is therefore correct in writing.
Because European is said with an initial y sound which counts as a consonantal sound in English speech, It is said (and written) with a not an. An abbreviation such as M.P. which is pronounced em pea begins with a spoken vowel and so it is an M.P.
• How do I know when to put An Apostrophe in it's?
• Is it an hour or a hour?
• It is raining. Can this sentence stand alone as grammatically correct?
• Is the word Data singular or plural?
• Is the word Agenda singular or plural?
• Is it acceptable to use THEY instead of HE or SHE?
• Should I use A Singular or A Plural Verb with Collective Nouns?
• Should I write : A Number of People is or A Number of People are?
• What are the Plurals of octopus, hippopotamus and syllabus?
• What is a Split Infinitive and why should I avoid using one?
• The Word for The Whole that is Greater than the sum of the parts is ...
• When should I use LESS and when should I use FEWER?
• Which is correct : a European not an European?
• Which is correct in this sentence : Lay or Lie?
• Which is correct: My Friend and Me or my friend and I?
• Which is the correct spelling : Oriented or Orientated?
From A European or An European to HOME PAGE
Follow These Links!