How do you spell Poppadom?
As with many words from foreign languages which have their own alphabets, there is no universally accepted way of transcribing the Tamil name of this food into English. The Concise Oxford Dictionary (1999) lists the word at poppadom, but mentions poppadum and popadom as alternatives.
The variant spellings which have been listed in Oxford dictionaries include papadam, papaddam, papadom, papadum, papodam, papodum, popadam, popadom, poppadam, poppadom, poppadum, poppodam, puppadum, puppodam, puppodum.
However, there is nothing to say that you cannot use the unlisted spellings papodom, popadum, poppodom, poppodum, puppadam, puppadom and puppodom.
Take your pick.
• Fayre, Fair and Fare : Which Is Which?
• Are spellings like privatize and organize Americanisms?
• Can CANNOT also be written as two words CAN NOT?
• How do you spell Poppadom?
• Is there an apostrophe in the Plural of Pizza?
• E Words : What is the correct way to spell them?
• When is it correct to use a Hyphen?
• Why is YE used instead of THE in Antique English?
• What is the difference between Affect and Effect?
• Why is the letter F used instead of S in Old-Fashioned Spellings?
• Which is correct Caster Sugar or Castor Sugar?
• What is the difference between Learnt and Learned?
• Why can't I find the word PERJORATIVE in my dictionary?
From Poppadom to HOME PAGE