The ROOT-WORD is the Prefix APO which means AWAY & FROM. This is a useful one leading to acquaintance with interesting words and worlds. Oddly enough, APO is found in the most modern words and also in the most ancient. No. 9 is used in modern science. No. 2 and No. 7 refer to ancient religious writings.
1. Apobiotic :APO biotic (ap o bie ot’ ik) adj.
Pertaining to any change that diminishes the vital energy of tissue
2. Apocalypse :APO calypso (a pok’ a lyps) n.
Religious literature; a revelation
3. Apocalyptic :APO calyptic (a pok a lyp’ tik) n.
Relating to the apocalypse
4. Apocenter :APO center (ap’ o sen ter) n.
The point of an orbit the most distant from the center of attraction
5. Apocope :APO cope (a pok’ o pee) n.
A cutting off; as, the end letters of a word
6. Apocrustic :APO crustic (ap o krus’ tik) adj.
Able to drive away; repellent
7. Apocrypha :APO crypha (a pok’ ri fa) n.
Writings of doubtful authority
8. Apocryphal :APO cryphal (a pok’ ri fal) adj.
Relating to the Apocrypha
9. Apogee :APO gee (ap’ o je) n.
The point in the orbit of a heavenly body farthest from the earth
10. Apology :APO logy (a pol’ o jee) n.
An attempt to make amends; an excuse
11. Apologetic :APO logetic (a pol o jet’ ik) adj.
In the nature of an apology
12. Apoplexy :APO plexy (ap’ o plek see) n.
Sudden loss of consciousness; a stroke
13. Apopletic :APO plectic (ap o plek’ tik) adj.
In the nature of a stroke; highly excited
14. Apostasy :APO stasy (a pos’ ta see) n.
A defection from one’s faith
15. Apostate :APO state (a pos’ tate) n.
One who abandons his faith
16. Apostle :APO stle (a pos’ el) n.
One who is sent away on a mission; as, the disciples of Jesus
17. Apostrophe :APO strophe (a pos’ tro fee) n.
A mark used to indicate the omitting of a letter; as, in the contraction “can’t"
18. Apotype :APO type (ap’ o tipe) n.
Type specimen used as the basis of information
19. Apotheosis :APO theosis (a poth ee o’ sis) n.
Release from earthly life; deification
20. Apothegm :APO thegm (ap’ o them) n.
A short saying that teaches; as, “Man proposes and God disposes" or “Time and tide wait for no man"
From Apo to HOME PAGE