philo, phil, phila & phile
These ROOT-WORDS are PHIL, PHILA, PHILO & PHILE which mean LOVE. It comes from the Greek philos which means loving. There are a great many words with this root since there are many things to love. This list gives you a good sampling; man, the arts both creative and practical, self, others, learning, wisdom, even the humble plant which wants nothing more than a tree to climb on. Truly PHIL makes the world go round! PHILO gets you to your places.
1. Philadelphy : PHIL adelphy (fil a del’ fi) n.
Love for all men as brothers
2. Philanderer : PHIL anderer (fi lan’ der er) n.
A male flirt
3. Philanthropist : PHIL anthropist (fi lan’ thro pist) n.
A lover of mankind; a generous giver to human welfare
4. Philatelist : PHIL atelist (fi lat’ el ist) n.
A stamp collector
5. Philathea : PHILA thea (fi lay’ thee a) n.
An international organization of Bible classes for women
6. Philematology : PHILE matology (fi lee ma tol’ o ji) n.
The science of kissing
7. Philharmonic : PHIL harmonic (fil har mon’ ik) adj.
Relating to an organization concerned with music
8. Philhippic : PHIL hippic (fil hip’ ik) adj.
9. Philodemic : PHIL odemic (fil o dem’ ic) adj.
Loving the people
10. Philodendron : PHIL odendron (fil o den’ dron) n.
A climbing green-leaved plant that is cultivated because of its beautiful leaves11. Philosophy : PHIL osophy (fi los’ o fee) n.
Love of wisdom; pursuit of wisdom
12. Philodox : PHILO dox (fil’ o doks) n.
One who loves the opinions he himself holds
13. Philogeant : PHIL ogeant (fil o jee’ ant) n.
A lover of all good things
14. Philogynist : PHIL ogynist (fi loj’ i nist) n.
One who is fond of women
15. Phiologist : PHIL ologist (fi lol’ o jist) n.
A student, scholar, and lover of languages
16. Philomath : PHILO math (fil’ o math) n.
A lover of learning
17. Philomuse : PHILO muse (fil’ o muze) n.
A lover of poetry and the arts
18. Philotechnist : PHILO technist (fil o tek’ nist) n.
A lover of the practical arts
19. Philotheism : PHILO theism (fil’ o thee iz um) n.
Love of God
20. Philter : PHIL ter (fil’ ter) n.
A love potion
Go to the Etymology Index Page.