Consider Different Ways
Consider different ways of setting out your information. Everyone knows that the written word alone is not always the best way of communicating a message. Graphic devices such as tables, illustrations, pie charts, diagrams, maps, strip cartoons, mathematical formulas, and photographs can all help.
- You now hold three equity plans. The 1992 plan is mature and is valued at £462.08. The 1993 plan will not become mature until 1 January 1995 and is currently valued at £645.43. The 1994 plan will mature on 1 January 1996 and is currently valued at £438.45.
You now hold three equity plans as follows:
|Year of plan
1 January 1995
1 January 1996
Try using lists and question and answers to convey complex information.
Is the hiring fee £100 or less? - Please pay it in full when you book.
Is the hiring fee £101 to £199? - Please pay £100 deposit when you book, and then pay the rest at least 21 days before the event.
Is the hiring fee over £200? - Please pay half the hiring fee as a deposit when you book, then pay the rest at least 21 days before the event.
If the hiring fee is:
- £100 or less, please pay it in full when you book,
- £101 to £199, please pay £100 deposit when you book, then pay the rest at least 21 days before the event.
- £200 or over, please pay half the hiring fee as a deposit when you book, then pay the rest at least 21 days before the event.
• Keep Sentences Short.
• Use words your readers are likely to understand.
• Use only as many words as you really need.
• Prefer the active voice.
• Use the clearest, liveliest verb to express your thoughts.
• Use Vertical Lists to make complex materil understandable.
• Keep Electronic Text Communication simple.
• Put your points positively when you can.
• Reduce cross-references to the minimum.
• Try to avoid sexist usage.
• Avoidable English Errors are so many.
• Avoid fusty first sentences and formula finishes.
• Put accurate punctuation at the heart of your writing.
• Avoid being enslaved by seven writing myths.
• Plan Before You Write.
• Organize your material in a simple way.
• Consider different ways of setting out your information.
• Devote special effort to producing lucid instructions.
• Use clear layout to present your plain words.
From Consider Different Ways to HOME PAGE