This ROOT-WORD is ANTHOROP which comes from the Greek anthropos meaning MAN. This ROOT opens the door to a much debated subject - is man an ape or an angel? Disraeli said, “I repudiate with abhorrence and indignation these new-fangled theories". Darwin thought differently. Here is some vocabulary relating to the subject.
1. Anthropic : ANTHROP ic (an throp’ ik) adj.
Of or pertaining to mankind
2. Anthropocentric : ANTHROP ocentric(an thro po sen’ trik) adj.
Assuming that man is the center of all
3. Anthropogeography: ANTHROP ogeography(an thro po je og’ ra fi) n.
Study of distribution of man in the world
4. Anthropogenesis : ANTHROP ogenesis(an thro po jen’ e sis) n.
Study of the development and origin of man
5. Anthropoglot : ANTHROP oglot (an throe’ po glot) n.
Animal with a tongue like man
6. Anthropography : ANTHROP ography (an thro pog’ ra fee) n.
Study of the distribution of the language, customs, institutions of man
7. Anthropoid : ANTHROP oid (an’ thro poid) adj.
Resembling man; as, the anthropoid ape
8. Anthropology : ANTHROP ology (an thro pol’ o jee) n.
The science of man
9. Anthropolatry : ANTHROP olatry (an thro pol’ a tri) n.
The worship of man as God
10. Anthropolith : ANTHROP olith (an throe’ po lith) n.
The petrified body or part of a body of a man
11. Anthropological : ANTHOROP ological(an thro po loj’ i kal) adj.
Relating to anthropology
12. Anthropologist : ANTHROP ologist (an thro pol’ o jist) n.
One who is versed in anthropology
13. Anthropometer : ANTHROP ometer (An thro pom’ e ter) n.
An instrument to measure the parts of the human body
14. Anthropomorphism: ANTHROP omorphism(An thro po mor’ fiz um) n.
Attributing human form to the nonhuman
15. Anthropopathy : ANTHROP opathy (an thro prop’ a thi) n.
Attributing human feeling to God
16. Anthroponomy : ANTHROP onomy (an thro pon’ o mi) n.
The science of human behavior
17. Anthropophagy : ANTHROP ophagy (an thro pof’ a jee) n.
18. Anthropophagus : ANTHROP ophagus(an thro pof’ a gus) n.
19. Philanthropy : phil ANTHROP y (Fi lan’ thro pee) n.
Love of mankind
20. Misanthropy : mis ANTHROP y (mis an thro pee) n.
Hatred of mankind
Etymologyanthrop to HOME PAGE