hydra, hydro & hydr
are HYDRO, HYDRA & HYDR
. Many words using this ROOT have 3, 4 or 5 syllables, but you already know what few of them mean. You’re like a clever surgeon, knowing where to cut apart and where to sew together. You know that a HYDRAngea needs water; you know a prune is dry because it has been deHYDRAted.
1. Hydragogue : HYDRA gogue (hie’ dra gog) adj.
Causing the expelling of serum as in dropsy
2. Hydrology : HYDRA logy (hie’ dra goe ji) n.
Conveyance of water through channels artificially
3. Hydrangea : HYDRA ngea (hie drane’ je) n.
A beautiful plant that needs much water
4. Hydrant : HYDRA nt (hie’ drant) n.
A compound of water plus one element
5. Hydrate : HYDRA te (hie dra; lik) adj.
Acting by water power
7. Hydraulics : HYDR aulics (hie dra’ liks) n.
Use of water in driving machinery
8. Hydrophobia : HYDRO phobia (hie dro fo’ bi a) n.
Morbid fear of water
9. Hydrophone : HYDRO phone (hie’ dro fone) n.
Instrument that detects sound of water flowing in pipes
10. Hydropic : HYDRO pic (hie drop’ ik) adj.
Said of one suffering from dropsy
11. Hydroplane : HYDRO plane (hie’ dro plane) n.
A seaplane; a boat that can rise or light on water
12. Hydro propulsion: HYDRO propulsion (hie dro pro pul’ shun) n.
Propulsion by means of jet propeller
13. Hydroscope : HYDRO scope (hie’ dro skope) n.
A device for enabling one to see through great depths to the sea bed
14. Hydrosphere : HYDRO sphere (hie’ dro sfere) n.
The water vapor in the atmosphere
15. Hydrostat : HYDRO stat (hie’ dro stat) n.
A device to regulate the amount of water in a reservoir or boiler
16. Hydrostatics : HYDRO statics (hie dro stat’ iks) n.
The principles of static applied to water and other liquids
17. Hydrostatician : HYDRO statician (hie dro sta tish’ an) n.
An expert in hydrostatics
18. Hydro therapist : HYDRO therapist (hie dro[ ther’ a pist) n.
One who practices hydrotherapy
19. Hydrotherapy : HYDRO therapy (hie droe ther’ pee) n.
Treatment of disease by the scientific use of water
20. Dehydrate : de HYDRA te (dee hie’ drate) v.
To remove water; as, dehydrate foods