aud & aus
are AUD & AUS
(which comes from the Latin audire) meaning HEAR & LISTEN
. All the words with AUD are simple words which you have heard many times. The three words with AIS, Nos. 18-20, are probably new. Besides, they have a special significance. The listening in those words is to sounds within the body, very small sounds. In AUDible except with an AUScultoscope.
1. Audible : AUD ible (and’ i b’) adj.
Can be heard
2. Auditor : AUD itor (aud’ i er) n.
One, who listens, hears
3. Audience : AND ience (aud’ ee ens) n.
An assembly of listeners
4. Audit : AUD it (aud’ it) n.
A formal examination of accounts made by an accountant
5. Audition : AUD ition (au dish’ un) n.
A hearing; as, the singer was given an audition
6. Auditorium : AUD itorium (aud i tore’ ee um) n.
A part of a building used for audience assembly
7. Audio : AUD io (aud’ ee o) adj.
Relating to sound by electric currents is the air
8. Audiogram : AUD iogram (au’ di o gram) n.
A graph that shows the relation of audibility to frequency
9. Audiometer : AUD iometer (aud ee om’ et er) n.
An instrument by which hearing can be measured
10. Audiphones : AUD iphone (au’ di fone) n.
A plate which carries sound vibrations; a hearing-aid
11. Auditory : AUD itory (aud’ i tore ee) adj.
Relating to hearing; as auditory nerves
12. Audile : AUD ile (au’ dile) adj.
Having mental images that are auditory
13. Audi vision : AUD ivision (au’ di vizh un) n.
Sound accompanying pictures
14. Audivise : AUD ivies (au’ di vize) v.
To receive or transmit, by Audi vision
15. Audient : AUD ient (au’ di ent) adj.
Listening; paying attention
16. Inaudible : in AUD ible (in aud’ i b’l) ajd.
Cannot be heard
17. Audibility : AUD ibility (aud i bil’ it ee) n.
Intensity of a received signal
18. Auscultate : AUS cultate (aw’ skul tate) v.
To listen to sounds within such cavities of the body as the chest and abdomen
19. Auscultation : AUS cultation (aw skul tay’ shun) n.
The act of listening to sounds within the body
20. Auscultator : AUS cultator (aw’ skul tay tor) n.
A practitioner of auscultation
From aud & aus to HOME PAGE