jur & jus
These ROOT-WORDS are JUS & JUR meaning LAW. JURIS means “of Law,” from Roman Law. Please notice change of accent in conjure and conjurer. Also notice the use of ad and ab : adjure and abjure. The prefix here is most important to the meaning of the word. Also notice spelling. In No. 9 the suffix meaning one who, is spelled ER. There is a word, not in this list, where the suffix meaning one who is OR, as in conjur or, a conspirator. Even though it is not on the list, bear in mind the difference between a conjurer& magicians and conjur & conspirator.
1. Juror : JUR or (jur’ or) n.
One who serves by law on a jury
2. Jury : JUR y (jur’ ee) n.
A group of twelve who are sworn to give a just verdict
3. Justice : JUS tice (jus’ tis) n.
A just judgement; as, justice must be served
4. Justification : JUS tification (jus tif fi kay’ shun) n.
Just cause for action
5. Adjustment : ad JUS tment (a just’ ment) n.
Settlement; as, an amicable adjustment
6. Conjure : con JUR e (kon’ jur) v.
To swear together; to imagine; to entreat; as, conjure the king to be merciful
7. Adjure : ad JUR e (a jur’) v.
To bind as if by solemn oath
8. Abjure : ab JUR e (ab jur’) v.
To swear away under oath; reject
9. Conjurer : con JUR er (kon’ jur er) n.
A magician; a trickster
10. Abjuration : ab JUR ation (ab ju ray’ shun) n.
A renumciation by solemn oath
11. Adjuration : ad JUR ation (aj u ray’ shun) n.
A solemn appeal
12. Adjustive : ad JUS tive (a jus’ tiv) adj.
Tending to put into proper order
13. Adjuratory : ad JUR atory (a jur’ a tore e) adj.
Tending to solemn appeal; begging
14. Abjuratory : ab JUR atory (ab jur’ a to ri) adj.
Containing a disavowal
15. Jurisdiction : JUR isdiction (jur is dik’ shun) n.
The legal right and power to hear and determine a cause
16. Juryman : JUR yman (jur’ ee man) n.
17. Jurist : JUR ist (jur’ ist) n.
One who is versed in law
18. Jurisprudence : JUR isprudence (jur i sprude’ ens) n.
Law; that which is recognized in law
19. Juristic : JUR istic (ju ris’ tik) adj.
Relating to jurisprudence
Go to the Etymology Index Page.
From jur HOME PAGE